We love making this for Christmas for the family. It’s really quick once you’ve got all the ingredients prepared (we always blitz the sprouts in the food processor to save time). The sprouts taste lovely and sweet and tender, such a difference to your normal over-cooked sprouts.
BRUSSEL SPROUTS, CHESTNUTS & BACON
- 1kg Brussel sprouts, shredded
- 2 white onions, sliced
- 200g lardons of bacon
- 100ml olive oil
- 10g salt
- 20g dark brown sugar
- 2g ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 40ml white wine vinegar
- 40ml water
- 4 chestnuts, chopped up
- Take a large frying pan or wok and start by frying the bacon lardons off in the olive oil. Once golden brown, remove the bacon from the pan and leave in a bowl.
- Cook the sliced onions in the remaining olive oil, until golden brown. Remove from the pan and add to the bacon bowl.
- Next, in the same pan, fry the sliced Brussel sprouts on a high heat, as if you were stir-frying the sprouts.
- Next add the sugar, salt, water and white wine vinegar, and mix.
- Once the sprouts are soft and green, add the chestnuts, bacon and onions back into the pan and mix.
- The sprouts are ready to serve!
Planning a party?
Whether it’s the office Christmas party, a catch-up with friends or a family get-together, the Marksman's seasonal festive menu is guaranteed to be one you’ll remember in the years to come. View here.